Numbers 6: 24-26

The Lord bless you, and keep you; The Lord make His face shine on you, And be gracious to you; The Lord lift up His countenance on you, And give you peace. Numbers 6:24-26

Monday, August 4, 2014

Landscape Watercolor Course...For me...Seriously!


As a benefit of volunteering at Yellowstone Association, Inc. (YA) we are offered the opportunity to enroll in a course that they offer to the general public, for free! One course only but how much fun is that? I chose Creating a Travel Sketch Book with Professor Suzie Garner who is an art professor at Colorado Mesa University in Grand Junction, Colorado. Suzie teaches drawing, sketchbook and graphic design courses and has a love for field sketches.


Bob dropped me off at Lamar aka the Buffalo Ranch. The ranch was built in 1906-1907 for the express use of expanding the less than 2 dozen buffalo (aka bison). They managed the bison and were able to increase their numbers to more than 1,000. Yellowstone, as of August 2012, has an estimated 4,200 wild buffalo within the park borders.

I shared a cabin with Juliann Baker, a Resident Manager for YA. She has been associated with YA for the past 12 years. She is a wealth of information for the park.



Suzie did several demos for the group and then cut us loose to see how we would do. There were some nicely talented people in the group. I wasn't one of them. I had fun and learned a new found confidence in playing with pen and ink drawings and coloring them with watercolor. We did all this out doors in Yellowstone National Park on small hikes to different areas.







 Now this is what I call a classroom!












Here I took a picture of what I was attempting to draw. Come on, at least I can identify what it is :)














And here is what Suzie did for this area. I know, no comparison, but it was still fun!










 And here is our wonderful group. Did I mention earlier that you aren't allowed to bring such luxuries as hair dryers? Add a hat to keep the sun out of your eyes while drawing and you see what my hair did, ha! Julianne is down with me on my right and Suzie is to her right.
















No comments:

Post a Comment